Multinational approach to strengthening inclusion and protection in the disaster risk management capacity of public institutions, authorities and civil society in Colombia, Peru and Paraguay
ABOUT THE PROJECT
This regional program seeks to promote and disseminate Inclusive Disaster Risk Management (IDRM) with emphasis on groups in vulnerable situations, such as people with disabilities, older adults, children and adolescents.
In Peru, the intervention is led by Save the Children and the non-governmental organization Humanity & Inclusion.
Among other activities, the current national guidelines, protocols and mechanisms for Disaster Risk Management (DRM) will be reviewed to align them with the protection and inclusion standards; child protection mechanisms will be mainstreamed into INDECI’s strategy for community education in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR); and awareness campaigns will be conducted on International DRR Day with inclusive drills.
Concerning the preparedness and response to potential disasters, Peru should establish community DRM working groups with the participation of vulnerable groups for the participatory development of Emergency and Contingency Plans, aligned with the protection and inclusion standards.
Finally, consideration should also be given to supporting the participation of the National DRM Offices and empowered representatives of the most at-risk groups in regional events, as well as to developing and disseminating an Inclusive DRR Regional Framework.
- To implement a multinational approach to strengthening inclusion and protection in the disaster risk management capacity of public institutions, authorities and civil society.
- To promote greater inclusion and protection in disaster preparedness and response at the community level.
- National stakeholders in disaster risk management demonstrate a strengthened capacity to apply inclusive and protective approaches.
Some of the expected results are:
- Set up a bi-national and regional experience-sharing mechanism in order to learn and expand the good protection and inclusion practices to future humanitarian interventions for multiple threats.
- Develop and disseminate an Inclusive DRR Regional Framework.